Wednesday 7 November 2018

WOYWW 492

Good morning all.  Time for desk hopping courtesy of Julia and WOYWW .    Sorry I missed last week.  Mr M decided to share his cough and cold with me, so I've been wiped out for most off the week.  I did feel a bit better Friday, and managed to make a Get Well card for a work colleague who is in hospital.

First one looked a bit girly, so I will save this for when I need a female get well card!

I love the leaf stamps.  They came free  with a stamping magazine.  I used my stamp and die set for the flowers (the one that cuts to the right size).
I coloured the flowers with promarkers.





Back to the drawing board for something a bit more masculine.  I used the same leaf stamps and a few different distress inks.

I coloured some MDF letters gold and glued them on.  Job done.






The rest of my crafty week has been sewing.  I thought I had better make a start on the quilts I want to be ready for Christmas.  

I cut out all the squares for the first quilt and the strips for the sides, top and bottom, and a panel where I will add the name.  I laid them out on my bed to see what it would look like.

The layout didn't look too bad, so I took a photo to make sure I remembered where each piece should go.



And that brings me to my desk shot, which is why we are here.  My side desk has been converted into sewing corner, complete with a massive pink mat that almost fills the entire desk.  

I've finished reading the instructions, had a couple of practise sessions, and away we go!  Not sure how long a quilt takes to make, but I'm banking on getting each one finished in 2 weeks.

Lurking on the windowsill in the background is a new basket for my stamp storage, as I want the lidded box for material.  I think I might be a hoarder....

On my main desk is a "maybe" for the name panel.

 I cut the letters out on my scan & cut using freezer paper (as googled and found on you tube).  I'm not sure they are big enough, so I'll wait till I've stitched up the squares of the quilt and see how they look.

I cut a few extra letters to practise stitching the letters. The machine was hard to manage so I might hand stitch them on.


I also attempted to make Apple butter for the first time this weekend.  We had some when we were in Canada and it was lovely.  I found a few different recipes and tried one.  Not anywhere near as nice as the Canadian one ... I'll try a different recipe next time.  Or if anyone has a tried and tested recipe, please let me know.

Thanks for visiting my blog, please do leave a comment then I can be sure to visit your blog.  Have a great week, Heather x




16 comments:

Helen said...

wow, only 2 weeks for a quilt.... good luck! (I am not a sewer so would be lost) love the get well cards. Helen #1

Claire said...

Goodness, you can really turn your hand to anything - just wonderful!
Happy WOYWW :)
Claire, no. 2

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. Quilting is something that I dreamed about trying, but then I remembered that I am rubbish at sewing and even worse at finishing off projects tidily. Ali x #8

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather, hope you'll be fully recovered soon. Love your get well cards, those leaf stamps are fab.
I so wish I had your enthusiasm Heather, when you get something new your "up and at em" I remember those days!! Looking forward to seeing that finished quilt. Have fun, you sure seem to be embracing that machine.
Happy WOYWW Hugs Tracey #3

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah generous of hubby to share like that Heather. Glad youre ok now.
And love the quite progress, very impressed and you’ve an Emily in your family too! I think you’re really game to launch into quilting on brand new machine like that.
I’ve no idea at all about Canadian Apple butter.
But found this recipe, seems it is French Canadian..
https://alalemon.com/2015/03/18/canada-apple-butter/
Hope it might help 😊
Thanks so much for your great desky share.
Happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz.x #5

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

shazsilverwolf said...

HI Heather, loving the quilt lay out. Looks great. Like the lettering style too. I always feel my sewing machine gets a bit carried away speed wise, lol, so can understand your problem with the letters. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Oooh, loving the quilt LO - great colours. You'll soon be speeding through the squares, the sewing machine won't know what's hit it. I am VERY jealous of you being able to use the Scan and Cut for the name letters, but I can't justify buying one just for that purpose so it'll be tracing and cutting out by hand still.
Hugs LLJ 11 xx
PS I can't remember when yournext fundraiser is but could you message me the dates and I'll get a few things together for it.

Diana Taylor said...

I really love the leafy cards - what great little stamps you got for free.
The quilt looks lovely and I'm impressed with the letter cutting, the Scan and Cut looks like a great little machine.
Hope you have a good week,
Diana x #21

Neet said...

Oh the girls name looks lovely - I do like the font you have chosen, looks good in gingham. Am sure this quilt making of yours will be a huge success.
Love the flower card and how good to have it on hand now, the male card is great, just the job to cheer someone up.
Hugs, Neet 10 xx

Christine said...

Exciting times with the quilts .... keep at it gal, you'll make them in time.
Love the cards
Christine #22

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Very good headstart on the quilts, Heather! Fingers crossed you can finish them before Christmas. It's definitely motivating to see what they will look like. It's so hard to make masculine cards - perhaps because most of our imagery are flowers and butterflies - but you did really well - and the female card looks so very pretty too. Hope you've got over the the worst of your cold by now - my hubby too gave me one a few weeks ago, but I managed to shake it off in a day or too, while he developed his into full-blown man flu - and we all know what that's like LOL! Have a wonderful week! zsuzsa #23

Sarah Brennan said...

You could ask Shoshi about an apple butter recipe Heather, I know she makes it. The quilts are looking great you have made a good start. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Happy WOYWW Sarah #17

Julia Dunnit said...

How like you to make a Get Well Card when you aren’t feeling 100% yourself, no doubt your colleague will love it. Girly, I am naturally bossy I know, but I must urge you not to store your clear stamps in direct light, they breakdown quite quickly and its incredibly disappointing. Can’t get over your plan for a fortnightly quilt, and am super impressed that you’ve read a manual...you’ll be going gangbusters with that lovely machine!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Love the cards Heather and the patchwork too. Hope you have a great week and a lovely woyww, Angela x15x

Lindart said...

I love the get well card - that'll tell him! How can he not get well with that card/ LOL! The other one is very pretty, but hopefully you won't have to use it! You have made a lot of progress on your quilt! I love apple butter, especially with peanut butter in a sandwich (childhood memory!). Thanks for your visit, Lindart #32

Shoshi said...

Great get well cards, both of them, Heather, and your quilt is going to be lovely! I have a good apple butter recipe (I see Sarah suggests you contact me about it) - we are blessed with the most delicious Bramleys on our tree in the garden, which helps. I make the apple butter sugar-free and in the slow cooker. I can let you have the recipe if you like, and also the absolutely fabulous recipe for a cinnamon twist loaf that has apple butter in it.

Thank you for your sweet comment and your good wishes - my oncology appointment on Thurs. went fine, with good news - no cancer anywhere, which is a relief, although I wasn't really worried. Now we'll have to see what my surgeon says about the hernia in Dec. So glad you like my peacock feathers.

Happy belated WOYWW (sorry for delay - busy few days lately),
Shoshi #13