Wednesday 18 November 2020

WOYWW 598

Good morning all, 

On the one hand I'll be glad to see the back of 2020, as many of us will I'm sure, on the other hand I need to put the brakes on - Christmas is fast hurtling towards us and I have so much to do!  Since I made Emily's quilt 2 years ago (I can't believe it was 2 years but it was), I have neglected to make the boys' quilts... so I decided I should start and finish 2 quilts before Christmas.  My daughters do not like Christmas Cake, but they do like Stollen, so I have committed myself to making both ... and I have had requests to make more truffles, so I am trying to think of some Christmas truffle ideas.  Put myself under pressure ... not!  Not forgetting the cards I need to make ...

But we are here with the well-established WOYWW blog hop to share our desks.  First is a long shot of my crafting emporium/guest room/ironing room/now office as well!!  Please forgive the mess - this is very much a working room.  I will tidy, one day ....


This gives some idea of how my little space gets cramped so easily - at the other side of the room is a sofa bed!  

George's quilt is finished, washed, dried and waiting to be wrapped up.   I really do love the little Made with love by Grandma patches.

David's quilt is underway.  One strip sewn, many to go.  The little pile of squares will become a gorgeous cuddly quilt.  I hand cut all the squares - definitely a labour of love!

Next shot is my other desk - aka my office work space.  It's easy enough to pack up at the weekend so I can spread out with my sewing/crafting.


Last shot is a source of amusement for Mr M.  As some of you may be aware, I decided to learn how to crochet, and promptly ordered crochet hooks, yarn/wool, etc and settled down to watching a few you tube videos.  I have found some quite good ones.  However, I don't like to waste anything, so I have been practising, unravelling, starting over, as I learn the various different stitches/techniques.  One lady in particular has very good videos and I am keen to get going with Tunisian crochet.  Whilst I await the arrival of my new hooks, I have unravelled my practice piece and start practicing a smock stitch.  Not perfect by any means, but my main achievement was keeping the same number of stitches from start to finish.  Now I just need to find some nice dark pink, light pink and white yarn/wool to crack on with a baby blanket.  It's hard work shopping on line, as the colours aren't true reflections.  Can anyone recommend a yarn/wool for a baby blanket?


Have a lovely week, and I'll visit after work as usual.  Take care, Heather xx

14 comments:

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I love Stollen too! I think it's German? You're supposed to be putting your feet up after all the work you did with the wedding and here you are making truffles again? As long as you enjoy it... Looks like you're well on the way to finishing those quilts and have fun learning how to crochets - I had some such aspirations a few years back, but who am I kidding LOL? Your office set up looks a lot like mine - I have my own PC and a work laptop and it's driving me crazy that I have different files and programmes on different machines and I can't always remember which is where! Happy WOYWW Heather and I might see you on Zoom! xx zsuzsa #20

Spyder said...

I'm not a woolie crafter but I have heard of stollen ? wool. the quilts look amazing. I love the design. Your crafty space looks great. Have a great week! Happy WOYWW!? ((Lyn)) #12 Stay Safe!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I think your space is quite tidy! It’s always good to have a poke around someone else’s spot to see how they work. The quilt is lovely, your GS will love it - I tend to cut out squares separately too, I’m too slapdash for rotary cutting and don’t get the exact shape you need for successful quilting! Stollen sounds so complicated to make, hope you have fun experimenting with it - next year’s Bake Off maybe?
Hugs LLJ 7 xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Heather, I love your work space it's busy and I would much sooner see a desk well used than one that's tidy and unused that is a sad place. The quilt is looking lovely and well done at teaching yourself to crochet too. I used to do some really fine work but it's hard on the eyes but very satisfying when it's finished. Sending woyww hugs, Angela x14x

Caro said...

I love your workspace and the long view of it for a change. Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless. Caro xxx (#13)

Helen said...

you sound as if you will be very busy in the next few weeks! I sort of thought about making a Christmas cake this year but didn't get far (it was a vague idea) and there's only me so would need to be a small one to avoid waste. So am guessing it won't happen! Your room doesn't look very untidy to me. will be careful where to place the computer for the crop view.... take care and have a good week Helen #1

Neet said...

Do you ever stop? You have been so busy these past few months with all the wedding prep and now you are throwing yourself into Christmas in such a big way. You put me to shame.
Love your room and that quilt is fab! So impressed also with the crochet. I have never heard of some of those stitches you mention (if that is the right word). Well done you.
Hugs, Neet 10 xx

Shoshi said...

I love your room, Heather - it all looks so organised, and it certainly doesn't look untidy to me. But then my room is unspeakable at the moment and I need to spend serious time in there having a blitz, tidying it up from being a dumping ground. At least you can walk across the floor in yours!! The children's quilts are so sweet - well done - I am sure they will love them.

Thank you for your visit, and I'm so glad you want to join in the giveaway! I'm glad you liked my new tunic, and also my new glasses which I am very pleased with. Thank you for your kind words about our lovely bro - we are so going to miss him as he was a very special person. He was always my favourite of all my hubby's family. I agree with you about the restrictions and find the whole thing deeply frustrating. I shall have to attend the funeral online unfortunately. No date set yet.

Hope you manage the Zoom session - it will be such fun to meet everyone!

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi x #19

Chrissie said...

Your workroom is nowhere wear a mess compared to my 'swamp' as my husband calls it! It looks a very creative place!
Take care,
Chrissie #6

Mary Anne said...

Cheap and cheerful Stylecraft is usually good - it is mostly acrylic (so won't bother babies that might be sensitive to wool or lanolin and will wash easy) comes in a ton of colours and in many weights. Failing that the Womens Institue yarn from Hobbycraft or Deramores own brand is also good.
And your room is much tidier than mine!

Happy WOYWW a little late!
Mary Anne (3)

Sarah Brennan said...

What a lovely quilt Heather, good luck finishing the second one. Love the long shot of your workspace. I like Stollen too but I usually cheat and get one from Aldi or Lidl. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

Crafting With Jack said...

You have been busy! Well done on learning all the different stitches. I need wool at the moment and I can’t decide whether to wait until I can get to a physical shop. I do like to see the colours and textures. I was thinking of ordering from Hobbycraft but they do see to have much at all. Best of luck with yours Angela #33

Julia Dunnit said...

My word Heather, you do set yourself some targets! I’m a cake and Stollen lover, and as for truffles...swooning at the thought! I made some last year...they might have been Nigella, if I remember properly, I’ll whizz the details over, at least you can broaden your choices then. I’ve never made stollen because I’m the only one that likes it and there’s really only so much one should eat, even over a holiday! For its multi uses, I think your room is incredibly well organised and tidy. There’s no way I could work on fabric within close proximity to my inking desk! The quilt is just fabulous, what a gesture gift....it’s true too isn’t it, love in every stitch.

Susan Renshaw said...

Well done with George's quilt and good luck with David's. I too love the signature patch!
I think your room looks so well organised - it must be a joy to work in!
Sorry I am late again...
Happy WOYWW!
Susan Renshaw #23
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!