Wednesday 5 December 2018

WOYWW 496

Good morning all,  photos were taken last night but no magic elves have been in my craft room overnight, so it's exactly the same this morning.  Time to take part in the weekly snoop around the wonderful world of crafty desks courtesy of Julia at The Stamping Ground

Firstly, I should respond to several comments/observations from last week about how the conversation went with Mr M ďwhen we realised that he had got the time wrong for the Christening.  I have always been a c'est la vie type of girl, and this has only increased since my brush with the grim reaper last year.  So no harsh words or recriminations, just a "well, you'd better ring and explain why we won't be there". There are far worse things happen at sea!  The keepsake box, card and present were duly posted, and hopefully our niece will be so delighted she will forget we didn't attend!

So, on to this week's desks.

Side desk has evidence of sewing.  I hand blanket stitched the name to the fabric, stabbing myself with pins several times along the way.  Once finished I found some fabric interfacing in my cupboard that I could have used on the Scan & Cut and probably made life easier for myself.  So I've saved that for the quilts for the boys.  I realise I am so far behind my quilt making schedule, but take comfort in the fact that I am in fact Supergran, and I can do anything (according to my 6 year old grandson).

Main desk has Stamps by Chloe Issue 2 which was on sale online for half price.  Comes complete with stamps, matching die, matching embossing folder and a stencil, as well as lots of A4 printed papers.  I love a bargain!  And the magazine has lots of lovely card ideas.  I did try to get Issue 1 as well, but apparently it sold out pretty much straight away!  The little card in the middle was my attempt at die cutting, then embossing, then stamping, and colouring with promarkers.

Now, I have a question (nothing new there then) for you lovely crafty ladies.  I have just sold my Cricut as I never use it now I have the Scan & Cut, and I think I may want to invest in an electric die cutting machine, a) because I really struggle to emboss with the Big Shot, and b) the Big Shot is quite heavy for me to lift down off the shelf where it lives.  So ... my question ... which electric machine would you recommend?  I have read reviews for Gemini and for Cut & Boss, but nothing beats personal recommendations.

Final pic - we went for our annual extended family Christmas meal on Saturday.  The boys insisted on wearing their bow ties as they were dining out at a grown up restaurant!  My 3 grandies plus my great-niece, who was a bit overwhelmed by my 3.

That's all for me!  Next week I hope to have more crafty time, but we have Santa Express on Saturday, grandaughter sleeping over on Saturday, and a trip to Leeds on Sunday to take her home, so I'll be crafting in the evenings! Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by and can visit you too!  Have a lovely week Heather x 

13 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Morning Heather, of course you are super Gran.. you make such lovely unique things that non of their friends will have. My three used to love showing off those Gran & Nan makes.
Such a sweet family photograph, such happy created memories.
Have fun this coming weekend, Happy WOYWW & take good care.
Hugs Tracey #8

glitterandglue said...

Morning Heather - what a gorgeous photo of those wee ones! Looks like you had a "grand day out"! I'm with you - love a bargain - so well found! The magazine looks great. I bought myself a Gemini machine earlier this year. I had Ummed and aaahed over an electric machine for ages - basically asking if I could justify the cost - but then found the larger Gemini on offer at the time at £120 - couldn't leave it on the shelf, could I?? I really am enjoying it. The machine cuts well, and very rarely do I even need to think of an extra shim to get a good cut.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Ha! That last pic made me smile - nothing is better than family get togethers :-D. Your sewing is looking great, I hand cut out my letters our of fabric backed with Bondaweb and that seems to work out ok. I have no idea about the machine suggestions, sorry!
And I agree, there are worse things to happen in the world, it's pointless getting cross about certain things...
Hugs LLJ 12 xxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Heather, fab pic of the grandees. Totally agree, if things go awry, it's no point stressing. I firmly only worry about things I can change, not those I can't! Still using a hand crank machine here, so sorry, no advice to give. I know a lot of people speak highly of the Vagabond, but thats as much help as I can be. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 X

Diana Taylor said...

Such pretty fabric for the name - I love dark blue and pink, it always looks so good together. I can't really recommend a die cutter but I have an E-bosser but don't use it much as it's a bit too pernickety about what I put through - it often refuses my 'sandwich'. I purchased it when I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't use the manual one but I was very pleased when I could go back to the Bigshot again. Good luck in finding one to suit.
Hope you have a good week,
Diana x #20

Helen said...

Hi, Super Gran!! that fabric behind "emily" is gorgeous. Love the pic of the little'uns looking all grown up! Can't help with an electric die cutter as i only have my big shot. Helen #3

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Heather. I agree with Diana, I have an E-bosser and it is a fussy machine but guess it knows what is safe to go through and what isn't. Have a great woyww and a happy creative week, Angela x16x

Stacy Sheldon said...

HI Heather, the thing with electronic cutters is, you will have to have table space for it and a plug in haha...
( I do 99% of everything on a big shot pro) that being said I did get to play with an electronic cutter at my moms house. ( she has arthritis) and I could not remember which one she had and I ended up ordering a Gemini JR. which I decided was big enough to handle my pain in the behind it will take you 8 times of back and forth through the big shot to cut them skinny metal dies. ( it works for me, but not in my craft room as I do not have the table space or a plug in) so most of the time its in its box and if I really want to use it I haul it down stairs or to work.

( my cricket is also it its box in the closet because, not only does it have the same cons as the Gemini for my space, it also needs plugged into my laptop) ( its one of those ones) at any rate. I have never ran an embossing folder through the Gemini.
~Stacy #28

Sarah Brennan said...

Good for Supergran Heather! As far as electric die cutting machines go, if you have the Sizzix Bigz dies they won't go through the Gemini. However the Gemini is apparently better (I have an ebosser) with very intricate dies. I suppose it depends what you have most of. Funnily enough, I find that I still use my Cricut despite having a Scan N Cut as sometimes I know of just the image on one of my cartridges without having to faff. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Marit said...

That's some name, 'supergran'... I hope one day I will get named something like that! The kiddies look so happy and lovely, I would love to come over for a cuddle! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday, big hug from Holland. Marit #21

Neet said...

What a delight it must be when you have hour grandees around or out all together. Such happy faces.
Well, am not sure I could have just done a bit of French - well not the kind you did about the missed Christening - but then I was a blonde "with red undertones".
Hugs, See you around next week if you get the quilts done (or partially done)
Neet 5 xx

Lindart said...

What cute kids! I love the bow ties! Very creative desk today! I can't help you with suggestions for die cutting machines, I still use my Big Shot! Thanks for your visit, have a great week, Lindart #26

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Hi Heather - the grandkiddies look gorgeous - you must have your hands full when they're visiting - supergran indeed! The quilts are going to be so precious with the kids' names on them. I can't resist a good freebie either and sometimes buy these cardmaking magazines just for the stamps and dies - I may never use them but gotta have them LOL! Thanks so much for your visit earlier - happy Sunday! zsuzsa #6